SubjectRe: 2.6.36 io bring the system to its knees
From
if it wasn't picasa, it would have been something else. I mean if I
kill picasa ( later on it was done indexing new pics anyway ), it
would have been for virtualbox to thrash the io. So, nope, getting rid
of picasa doesn't help either. In general the systems responsiveness
or sluggishness is dominated by those io operations going on - the DD
& CP & probably VBOX issuing whole bunch of its load for IO.

Another way I see these delays, is when I leave system overnight, with
ktorrent & juk(stopped) in the background. It takes some time for
WM(kwin) to work out ALT+TAB the very next morning. But this might be
because the WM(kwin & its code) has been swapped out, because of long
period of not using it.

But, in general, I have troubles with responsiveness, when I try to
restore my virtualbox image from saved state. If there is a DD doing
its stuff while virtualbox is restoring its image, I see those nasty
delays - the kwin, mouse pointer, etc...

thanks Aidar

PS : the good thing is, and I am getting used to it, I don't loose
data, I mean the system doesn't hang, just freezes for a while :)