    SubjectRe: Tickles scheduler
    From
    1.Currently processes in the system are in some kind of list I think
    (double circular).
    So what if we assign each process structure (task_struct) property for
    priority (maybe already there)
    and another property which is time how long should run. So instead
    having ticker in system,
    each process runs itself predetermined period of time based on
    priority and probably few more
    parameters that should be in algorithm.

    2. Second, when adding process into list, we can have separate side
    lists, created in advance (something
    like slab), where each lists hold tasks of same priority. So when we
    add new process to list, at same
    time we add it to his priority list. Than scheduler goes trough these
    lists, based on priority and each
    tasks hold it's running time. So we have two points to ease algorithm,
    lists with single priority and time inside
    each process task_struct related to priority.

    3. In this way time-granularity of the system is high and allows for
    real-time behavior, because we do
    not have outside time that we "cut" in the middle when interrupt
    happens, we just interrupt current process and when
    finished, scheduler continue to walk trough lists of processes that
    run its own time.

    regards

    --
    Dragoslav Zaric

    Professional Programmer
    MSc Astrophysics

      Last update: 2010-10-28 12:23    [W:0.024 / U:29.604 seconds]