    SubjectRe: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
    On Friday 29 October 2010 06:44:32 Greg KH wrote:
    > On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:26:41AM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:55:02 +1300 Charles Manning wrote:
    > > > YAFFS has been used for many years as a third-party patch-in.
    > > >
    > > > I have recently been through the exercise of changing all the symbols
    > > > to be more kernel friendly with the intention of mainlining into the
    > > > linux tree.
    > > >
    > > > The code is in git at
    > > >

    > > It's difficult to review & comment on a git tree.
    > > We prefer patches via email for review.
    > >
    > > > Thanks to CELF and Google for sponsoring the effort so far.
    > > >
    > > > What still needs to be done to mainline this?
    > > > Who do I need to approach?
    > >
    > > Either ask Stephen Rothwell to add the git tree to the linux-next daily
    > > tree or ask Greg KH to add it to the drivers/staging/ area.
    > I'd be glad to add the code to the staging tree, but to do so, do you
    > have a list of things that are left to do in order to get it properly
    > merged to the "real" portion of the kernel?

    We're getting into a Catch-22 discussion here... Until I fully understand what
    is needed, I can't really say what needs to be done :-).

    At this stage the code works, is integrated into, and compiles cleanly against
    Linus' 2.6 git. My git is based on Linus' 2.6 as of yesterday.

    I have done symbol cleaning changing the old yaffs names of the form
    yaffs_ScanBackwards() to yaffs_scan_backward() etc.

    What I really need is someone to look at what's there and tell me if there are
    still style issues etc that need changing.

    I know there is a style guide etc, but when we're talking about processing 15k
    loc then some of those rules might be slightly bendable.

    > And if so, what is preventing you from doing those tasks right now to
    > get the code into the .38 kernel merge?

    My biggest problem is not fully understanding the process.
    Knowing if I need to change anything else and whom to send what to,

    Thanks. Your input is much appreciated.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-10-28 19:59    [W:0.022 / U:30.308 seconds]