    SubjectRe: On Linux numbering scheme
    ----- "Tejun Heo" wrote:

    > On 10/22/2010 04:00 AM, Al Viro wrote:
    > > On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 07:06:23PM -0500, kevin granade wrote:
    > >
    > >> Any particular reason not to continue the date-oriented format and
    > >> have the third number be the numerical representation of the month
    > >> rather than an incrementing numbering of the releases? It would
    > still
    > >> be monotonically increasing, which is the only requirement, right?
    > >
    > > Why do we need to change it, anyway?
    >
    > Agreed. These days, I use just the last digit, as in kernel 36, in
    > casual contexts. It's a number as good as any other. I don't think
    > it needs to be changed actively. If the 2.6. prefix is bothering,
    > just use the last number and maybe that will become semi-official in
    > the future, or maybe not. Doesn't really matter.
    >
    > --
    > tejun

    That's my point. "2.6" prefix is totally meaningless nowadays. I just
    want to rejuvenate the numbering scheme and make it easy to understand
    and comprehend. What's the difference between .16 and .36? Besides, I
    just think these huge numbers look unsightly. Do you know any other
    piece of software which has the same huge numbers?

      Last update: 2010-10-25 11:47    [W:4.681 / U:0.004 seconds]