    SubjectRe: ima: use of radix tree cache indexing == massive waste of memory?
    Hi!

    > > Especially as our merge requirements for security/ are a lot lower than
    > > for the rest of the kernel given that James is very afraid of getting
    > > whacked by Linux for not mering things.
    >
    > I think historically you'll see that I'm not afraid of getting whacked by
    > Linus.
    >
    > A procedure for merging security features has been adopted by consensus,
    > based on suggestions from Arjan, with the aim of preventing the literally
    > endless arguments which arise from security feature discussions. It's
    > sometimes referred to as the Arjan protocol, essentially:
    >
    > If the feature correctly implements a well-defined security goal, meets
    > user needs without incurring unreasonable overheads, passes technical
    > review, and is supported by competent developers, then it is likely to
    > be merged.
    >
    > If you disagree with a specific feature, you need to step up while it's
    > being reviewed and make a case against it according to the above
    > criteria.

    Well, I'm arguing that the criteria are wrong. Duplicated crap is
    creeping in (TOMOYO vs. AppArmor), and strange stuff that has no
    legitimate use is in (IMA -- what is it good for? locking machines
    down, iPhone style).

    > If you disagree with the protocol, then you need to come up with a better
    > one, and probably implement it yourself, to the satisfaction of all
    > parties.

    I do disagree, and I do not think 'satistfaction of all parties' is
    reasonable goal. Rest of kernel has different rules, and IMO they are better.

      Last update: 2010-10-25 15:21    [W:0.056 / U:0.108 seconds]