    SubjectRe: High CPU load when machine is idle (related to PROBLEM: Unusually high load average when idle in 2.6.35, 2.6.35.1 and later)
    On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 04:03:42PM -0700, Venkatesh Pallipadi wrote:
    > (Sorry about the subjectless earlier mail)
    >
    > I started making small changes to the code, but none of the change helped much.
    > I think the problem with the current code is that, even though idle CPUs
    > update load, the fold only happens when one of the CPU is busy
    > and we end up taking its load into global load.
    >
    > So, I tried to simplify things and doing the updates directly from idle loop.
    > This is only a test patch, and eventually we need to hook it off somewhere
    > else, instead of idle loop and also this is expected work only as x86_64
    > right now.
    >
    > Peter: Do you think something like this will work? loadavg went
    > quite on two of my test systems after this change (4 cpu and 24 cpu).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Venki

    I'd really like to be able to help test this, but with a 32bit x86
    machine I guess this patch won't do anything for me. How hard would it be to
    mangle this into working for my machine or should I just wait?

    Tim McGrath

      Last update: 2010-10-23 04:17    [W:0.023 / U:120.580 seconds]