    SubjectRe: sata_mv and Highpoint RocketRAID 230x, corruption?
    On 10-10-20 04:03 PM, Mathias Burén wrote:
    ..
    > I'm currently not using the BIOS of the raid controller for anything
    > else then staggered disk spinup. The HDD partitions start at sector
    > 2048 (to get a 1MB alignment since they're 4k sector drives, WD20EARS)
    > and end at the last sector.
    > What I'm worried about is the corruption mentioned in dmesg, is this
    > explained somewhere in more detail? Google didn't reveal much. Am I in
    > danger?

    Yes. Just repartition the drives to avoid the final 2GB of each drive,
    and then you'll be safe.

    The RocketRaid BIOS that I examined here a couple of years ago,
    liked to write "metadata" over top of whatever was in certain sectors
    near the end of the drive. EVEN FOR NON-RAID DRIVES.

    I think it was the last even (power-of-two) multiple of 1GB or something,
    so if you leave the final 2GB untouched, you're guaranteed to avoid it.

    Thus the recommendation.

    Cheers