    SubjectRe: On Linux numbering scheme
    On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:
    > On 10/22/2010 06:41 AM, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
    >> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Artem S. Tashkinov <t.artem@lycos.com> wrote:
    >>> What can you say about kernel 2.6.32? Almost nothing.
    >>>
    >>> What can you say about kernel 3.11.3? - it is the third release of
    >>> Linux in 2011.
    >>
    >> And? What a useless information.
    >>
    >> BTW, it should be 3.2011.3, see Y2K.
    >> --
    >
    >   If you -really- wanna go that route - may as well be
    >
    >      20.11.3.18

    I think the reason day was excluded by previous suggestions is that
    the current development model doesn't generate a "blessed" version on
    anything close to a daily rate. Even if you wanted to incorporate the
    -rcs or -next into this scheme, it seems like it'd be somewhat
    problematic since the day field would drop in value during development
    e.g.
    20.11.3.18 = 2.6.37-rc1
    20.11.3.25 = 2.6.37-rc2
    20.11.4.2 = 2.6.36-rc3

    3.<year>.<month>, and might help drive home the point that the version
    number is "a point in development" rather than some kind of "indicator
    of feature releases".

    >    century.decade.month.day .. that way we don't have problem until we
    > hit the year 10,000 ... :-)

    Or until the New Galactic Calendar is introduced... ;)

    Silliness aside, what are the deficiencies of the current numbering
    that are being addressed here? The only things I can come up with
    are, "major number is getting too big" and "development no longer
    follows a major/minor feature based model, so the version numbering
    scheme should reflect this". Are there any other reasons for a
    change?

    Kevin