    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2010-discuss] [v2] Remaining BKL users, what to do
    From
    On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:

    >> > Not anymore, which is my old point of making a fuss. Nowadays in the
    >> > modern distro world, we supply a single kernel that can at runtime
    >> > decide if its running on SMP or UP and rewrite the text section
    >> > appropriately with locks etc. Its like magic, and something like
    >> > marking drivers as BROKEN_ON_SMP at compile time is really wrong when
    >> > what you want now is a runtime warning if someone tries to hotplug a
    >> > CPU with a known iffy driver loaded or if someone tries to load the
    >> > driver when we are already in SMP mode.
    >>
    >> We could make the driver run-time non-SMP by adding
    >>
    >>       if (num_present_cpus() > 1) {
    >>               pr_err("i810 no longer supports SMP\n");
    >>               return -EINVAL;
    >>       }
    >>
    >> to the init function. That would cover the vast majority of the
    >> users of i810 hardware, I guess.
    >
    > Some research showed that Intel never support i810/i815 SMP setups,
    > but there was indeed one company (http://www.acorpusa.com at the time,
    > now owned by a domain squatter) that made i815E based dual Pentium-III
    > boards like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/280319795096

    Also that board has no on-board GPU enabled i815EP (P means no on-board GPU).

    So I think i810 is fine.

    > The first person that can send me an authentic log file showing the
    > use of X.org with DRM on a 2.6.35 kernel with two processors on that
    > mainboard dated today or earlier gets a free upgrade to an AGP graphics
    > card of comparable or better 3D performance from me. Please include
    > the story how why you are running this machine with a new kernel.
    >
    > i830 is harder, apparently some i865G boards support Pentium 4 with HT
    > and even later dual-core processors.

    Also hyper-threaded 845G boards, however I'm happy to start a proper
    deprecation procedure on the i830 ABI,
    Its been a few years since a distro shipped with it, I think even
    RHEL5 has the i915 driver enabled, so we are
    probably talking RHEL4 era.

    Dave.