    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2010-discuss] [v2] Remaining BKL users, what to do
    Date
    On Tuesday 19 October 2010, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
    > On Tuesday 19 October 2010 06:52:32 Dave Airlie wrote:
    > > > I might be able to find some hardware still lying around here that uses an
    > > > i810. Not sure unless I go hunting it. But I get the impression that if
    > > > the kernel is a single-CPU kernel there is not any problem anyway? Don't
    > > > distros offer a non-smp kernel as an installation option in case the user
    > > > needs it? So in reality how big a problem is this?
    > >
    > > Not anymore, which is my old point of making a fuss. Nowadays in the
    > > modern distro world, we supply a single kernel that can at runtime
    > > decide if its running on SMP or UP and rewrite the text section
    > > appropriately with locks etc. Its like magic, and something like
    > > marking drivers as BROKEN_ON_SMP at compile time is really wrong when
    > > what you want now is a runtime warning if someone tries to hotplug a
    > > CPU with a known iffy driver loaded or if someone tries to load the
    > > driver when we are already in SMP mode.
    >
    > We could make the driver run-time non-SMP by adding
    >
    > if (num_present_cpus() > 1) {
    > pr_err("i810 no longer supports SMP\n");
    > return -EINVAL;
    > }
    >
    > to the init function. That would cover the vast majority of the
    > users of i810 hardware, I guess.

    Some research showed that Intel never support i810/i815 SMP setups,
    but there was indeed one company (http://www.acorpusa.com at the time,
    now owned by a domain squatter) that made i815E based dual Pentium-III
    boards like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/280319795096

    The first person that can send me an authentic log file showing the
    use of X.org with DRM on a 2.6.35 kernel with two processors on that
    mainboard dated today or earlier gets a free upgrade to an AGP graphics
    card of comparable or better 3D performance from me. Please include
    the story how why you are running this machine with a new kernel.

    i830 is harder, apparently some i865G boards support Pentium 4 with HT
    and even later dual-core processors.

    Arnd

      Last update: 2010-10-19 15:29    [W:0.023 / U:1.356 seconds]