SubjectRe: [RFC] Staging:IIO: New ABI
Am 26.01.2010 11:25, schrieb Hennerich, Michael:
>> From: Dmitry Torokhov [mailto:dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com]

> api? Also note that these
> relevant event on the related

> bunch of
> plug into

> input
> solution.
> input

> acceptable for

> "toy"
> we use
> the

> bridge

>>> I really don't see that hwmon provides facilities like input/evdev
>>> does. Queuing of events with time stamping and multiple reader
>>> support.
>>
>> I understand that using evdev might be very convenient but I still
>> believe that input should be used for human interfaces, not for generic
>> data acquisition. The idea is that userpsace consumers should be able
>> query device's capabilities and based on those capabilities be able to
>> classify and properly handle the device. Now it all breaks when we get
>> random hardware using EV_ABS/ABS_* for delivering some datastream that
>> has nothing to do with coordinates.
>
> Acceleration in X,Y,Z translates pretty well in what joysticks deliver.

But it's not only about accelerometers here. We also have gyros,
magnetometers, pressure sensors and generic ADCs.

>>> The adxl34x accelerometer driver for example is really
>>> intended to be a input device. Send EV_KEY for x,y,z_TAP detections,
>>> send EV_KEY for 3D orientation sensing, and EV_ABS for acceleration.
>>> With very minor platform data customization you can use this device
>>> for game controls or GUI interaction. A few examples include digital
>>> picture frames, ebook readers, etc.
>>>

>> I see. However, can it be reasonably used for other purposes?
>
> Well - it depends. Some applications for Accelerometers also include:

> Personal navigation devices
(low to mid data rate)

> Hard disk drive (HDD) protection
(only alerts)

> Safety
(probably low data rate)

What we want with IIO is a common high performance interface to these
devices. That's why we have ring buffers in the kernel. Possible
applications are robotics, precise navigation, data aquisition, etc.

Regards,
--
Dipl.-Inf. Manuel Stahl
Fraunhofer-Institut für Integrierte Schaltungen IIS

[unhandled content-type:application/pkcs7-signature]

  Last update: 2010-01-26 11:41    [W:0.048 / U:0.348 seconds]