SubjectRe: futex() on vdso makes process unkillable
KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
>> Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>>> On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 16:27 +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> Well, my opinion is we should remove the vdso, its ugly as hell :-)
>>>
>>> But I think it would make most sense to extend its definition in the
>>> direction of it being a file (for all intents and purposes its a special
>>> DSO -- which unfortunately isn't present in any filesystem).
>>>
>>> [ For all intents and purposes processes can already communicate through
>>> futexes on the libc space, so being able to do so through the vsdo
>>> really doesn't add anything ]
>>>
>>> So the problem is that the VDSO pages do not have a page->mapping
>>> because they lack the actual filesystem part of files, so even if (with
>>> the recent zero-page patch from Kosaki-san) you make private COWs of the
>>> VDSO, you'll get stuck in that loop.
>>>
>>> So the prettiest solution is to simply place the vdso in an actual
>>> filesystem and slowly migrate towards letting userspace map it as a
>>> regular DSO -- /sys/lib{32,64}/libkernel.so like.
>>>
>>> [ that has the bonus of getting rid of install_special_mapping() ]
>>>
>>> The ugly solution is special casing the vdso in get_futex_key().
>> I like the creating-a-real-file solution. However, for now (and for
>> stable), I think Kosaki's suggestion of EINVAL or EFAULT is a good
>> stop-gap. EINVAL might play the best with existing glibc implementations.
>
> May I confirm your mention?
>
> If we can accept EFAULT, we don't need any change. my previous futex patch
> already did. because 1) VDSO is alwasys read-only mapped 2) write mode
> get_user_pages_fast() against read-only pte/vma return EFAULT.
>
> Current linus and stable tree don't cause Mark's original problem. instead, just
> return EFAULT. (Well, I'm sorry. my previous mail was unclear. I wrote v2.6.31 test
> result)
>
> If you can't accept EFAULT, we need to add vdso specific logic into get_futex_key().
> Is this your intention?

That was my intention, but after looking at the glibc source, I don't
see any reason for EINVAL over EFAULT. I apparently mis-remembered
something there. EFAULT is fine.

--
Darren Hart
IBM Linux Technology Center

  Last update: 2010-01-26 15:25    [W:0.041 / U:0.136 seconds]