lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2010]   [Jan]   [21]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: Lots of bugs with current->state = TASK_*INTERRUPTIBLE
Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 11:18 -0800, David Daney wrote:
>> Steven Rostedt wrote:
>>> Peter Zijlstra and I were doing a look over of places that assign
>>> current->state = TASK_*INTERRUPTIBLE, by simply looking at places with:
>>>
>>> $ git grep -A1 'state[[:space:]]*=[[:space:]]*TASK_[^R]'
>>>
>>> and it seems there are quite a few places that looks like bugs. To be on
>>> the safe side, everything outside of a run queue lock that sets the
>>> current state to something other than TASK_RUNNING (or dead) should be
>>> using set_current_state().
>>>
>>> current->state = TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE;
>>> schedule();
>>>
>>> is probably OK, but it would not hurt to be consistent. Here's a few
>>> examples of likely bugs:
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> This may be a bit off topic, but exactly which type of barrier should
>> set_current_state() be implying?
>>
>> On MIPS, set_mb() (which is used by set_current_state()) has a full mb().
>>
>> Some MIPS based processors have a much lighter weight wmb(). Could
>> wmb() be used in place of mb() here?
>
> Nope, wmb() is not enough. Below is an explanation.
>
>> If not, an explanation of the required memory ordering semantics here
>> would be appreciated.
>>
>> I know the documentation says:
>>
>> set_current_state() includes a barrier so that the write of
>> current->state is correctly serialised wrt the caller's subsequent
>> test of whether to actually sleep:
>>
>> set_current_state(TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE);
>> if (do_i_need_to_sleep())
>> schedule();
>>
>>
>> Since the current CPU sees the memory accesses in order, what can be
>> happening on other CPUs that would require a full mb()?
>
> Lets look at a hypothetical situation with:
>
> add_wait_queue();
> current->state = TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE;
> smp_wmb();
> if (!x)
> schedule();
>
>
>
> Then somewhere we probably have:
>
> x = 1;
> smp_wmb();
> wake_up(queue);
>
>
>
> CPU 0 CPU 1
> ------------ -----------
> add_wait_queue();
> (cpu pipeline sees a load
> of x ahead, and preloads it)


This is what I thought.

My cpu (Cavium Octeon) does not have out of order reads, so my wmb() is
in fact a full mb() from the point of view of the current CPU. So I
think I could weaken my bariers in set_current_state() and still get
correct operation. However as you say...


> x = 1;
> smp_wmb();
> wake_up(queue);
> (task on CPU 0 is still at
> TASK_RUNNING);
>
> current->state = TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE;
> smp_wmb(); <<-- does not prevent early loading of x
> if (!x) <<-- returns true
> schedule();
>
> Now the task on CPU 0 missed the wake up.
>
> Note, places that call schedule() are not fast paths, and probably not
> called often. Adding the overhead of smp_mb() to ensure correctness is a
> small price to pay compared to search for why you have a stuck task that
> was never woken up.

... It may not be worth the trouble.


>
> Read Documentation/memory-barriers.txt, it will be worth the time you
> spend doing so.

Indeed I have read it. My questions arise because the semantics of my
barrier primitives do not map exactly to the semantics prescribed for
mb() and wmb().

A kernel programmer has only the types of barriers described in
memory-barriers.txt available. Since there is no
mb_on_current_cpu_but_only_order_writes_as_seen_by_other_cpus(), we use
a full mb() instead.


Thanks for the explanation Steve,

David Daney


\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2010-01-21 21:01    [from the cache]
©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans