    SubjectRe: [x86] Unify semaphore_32.S and rwlock_64.S

    On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > The motivation for rwsem_count_t seemed to be making it easier to switch
    > over. I leave it up to Linus to motivate the typedef...

    Indeed. I wanted to separate the issue of cleaning up the mask values from
    cleaning up the code. That required that we'd have a separate type that
    can change in _one_ place with the bias values.

    It was also an unholy type mess before, so the rwsem_count_t also was
    about making that unholy mess clearer. That's especially true since the
    type will also have to percolate down to the slow cases before you can
    actually fix the BIAS values.

    As to keeping the 64-bit and 32-bit slow case wrappers separate: this is
    very much one case where we _have_ to. Trying to pretend that 32-bit code
    and 64-bit code is similar in this case is just lying. The calling
    conventions are totally different, there is nothing similar there at all
    (different argument registers, different clobbered registers, different
    _everything_ that matters for the wrapper).

    Linus

      Last update: 2010-01-21 00:49    [W:0.021 / U:31.676 seconds]