SubjectRe: Generic DMA - BUG_ON
Date
On Wednesday 20 January 2010, Michal Simek wrote:
> Joerg Roedel wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:53:50AM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> >> and ops is NULL, then this code will oops; you will get a full register
> >> dump and backtrace. You can use this information along with markup_oops.pl
> >> to find out where the problem is.
> >
> > You can't rely on the oops if the code runs in process context. The
> > process may have address 0 mapped which would result in a security hole.
> > We had two of these bugs last year.
>
> That's the same problem which I had some days ago and Microblaze misses
> valuable backtrace (because we don't have FP or constant frame size).

You can do what x86 does and just print anything in the stack that looks
like part of a kernel function.

> > But I don't see any point in checking for dma_ops != NULL too. Any
> > developer would mention such a bug long before init is started.
>
> I agree that checking adds extra cycles to every dma-api call.
>
> I like as wrote Russel to check if ops exists or not.

If you are worried about the overhead, you could just add the BUG_ON
to the map calls but not to unmap and sync, which are rather unlikely
(and incorrect) to be called before a map.

Arnd

  Last update: 2010-01-20 20:05    [W:0.051 / U:11.420 seconds]