SubjectRe: Generic DMA - BUG_ON
Joerg Roedel wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:53:50AM +0000, Russell King wrote:
>> and ops is NULL, then this code will oops; you will get a full register
>> dump and backtrace. You can use this information along with
>> to find out where the problem is.
> You can't rely on the oops if the code runs in process context. The
> process may have address 0 mapped which would result in a security hole.
> We had two of these bugs last year.

That's the same problem which I had some days ago and Microblaze misses
valuable backtrace (because we don't have FP or constant frame size).

> But I don't see any point in checking for dma_ops != NULL too. Any
> developer would mention such a bug long before init is started.

I agree that checking adds extra cycles to every dma-api call.

I like as wrote Russel to check if ops exists or not.

Let's look at code which is there.
dma_map_single_attrs - calls ops->map_page without any checking
The same for dma_map_sg_attrs, dma_map_page

The rest of functions is ok. If any checking will be there, I don't have
any problem with it.

> Joerg

Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng)
w: p: +42-0-721842854
Maintainer of Linux kernel 2.6 Microblaze Linux -
Microblaze U-BOOT custodian

 \ /
  Last update: 2010-01-20 12:21    [W:0.061 / U:4.004 seconds]