SubjectRe: fio mmap randread 64k more than 40% regression with 2.6.33-rc1
From
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:10:33PM +0100, Corrado Zoccolo wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:06 AM, Zhang, Yanmin
>> <yanmin_zhang@linux.intel.com> wrote:

>> > I did a quick testing against 2.6.33-rc1. With the new method, fio mmap randread 46k
>> > has about 20% improvement. With just checking rq_in_driver(cfqd), it has
>> > about 33% improvement.
>> >
>> Jeff, do you have an idea why in arm_slice_timer, checking
>> rq_in_driver instead of cfqq->dispatched gives so much improvement in
>> presence of queue merging, while it doesn't have noticeable effect
>> when there are no merges?
>
> Performance improvement because of replacing cfqq->dispatched with
> rq_in_driver() is really strange. This will mean we will do even lesser
> idling on the cfqq. That means faster cfqq switching and that should mean more
> seeks (for this test case) and reduce throughput. This is just opposite to your approach of treating a random read mmap queue as sync where we will idle on
> the queue.
The tests (previous mails in this thread) show that, if no queue
merging is happening, handling the queue as sync_idle, and setting
low_latency = 0 to have bigger slices completely recovers the
regression.
If, though, we have queue merges, current arm_slice_timer shows
regression w.r.t. the rq_in_driver version (2.6.32).
I think a possible explanation is that we are idling instead of
switching to an other queue that would be merged with this one. In
fact, my half-backed try to have the rq_in_driver check conditional on
queue merging fixed part of the regression (not all, because queue
merges are not symmetrical, and I could be seeing the queue that is
'new_cfqq' for an other).

Thanks,
Corrado

> Thanks
> Vivek
>

>> Thanks,
>> Corrado

dott. Corrado Zoccolo mailto:czoccolo@gmail.com
PhD - Department of Computer Science - University of Pisa, Italy