SubjectRe: MSI broken in libata?
On 01/16/2010 03:58 PM, Torsten Kaiser wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Robert Hancock<hancockrwd@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Can you please try the attached patch?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> It'd be interesting to see if it makes a difference, but I don't think the
>> patch is quite right.
>
> As written in the other mail: No, Tejuns patch also didn't work.
>
>> According to the datasheet, doing the MSI ack while
>> the interrupt source is still pending will cause a new MSI to be sent, so if
>> you do it before handling the interrupt you'll generate a spurious interrupt
>> after every real one.
>>
>> Though, apparently my patch that did the MSI ack after the handling didn't
>> help, so either that's wrong or the problem is unrelated. (I tend to suspect
>> the latter, given that sata_nv is also failing in the same way.)
>
> Reading http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI-DS-0138-D.pdf a possible
> cause might have been, that this MSI ACK was never needed. Page 63 of
> this PDF says about 'Global Control': "If all interrupt conditions are
> removed subsequent to an MSI, it is not necessary to assert this
> Acknowledge; another MSI will be generated when an interrupt condition
> occurs."
>
> But I did not find anything that might explain my problem.
>
> Looking at my lspci output I noted the following:
> For the PCIe-bridges:
> Capabilities: [80] Express (v1) Root Port (Slot+), MSI 00
> DevCap: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s<64ns, L1<1us
> ExtTag- RBE+ FLReset-
> DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
> RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
> MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
> For the tg3 onboard network chips:
> Capabilities: [d0] Express (v1) Endpoint, MSI 00
> DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s<4us, L1 unlimited
> ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
> DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
> RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
> MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 4096 bytes
> For the SiI chip:
> Capabilities: [70] Express (v1) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
> DevCap: MaxPayload 1024 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s<64ns, L1<1us
> ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE- FLReset-
> DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
> RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
> MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 4096 bytes
>
> So the maximum payload for it is bigger then that of the nVidia bridge.
> As I don't have knowlegde of the PCI specs, I guess DevCap is what a
> device is physically capable and DevCtl is the value that the BIOS /
> kernel hat programmed into it for actual use.
> If my guess is correct, then the SiI should be correctly limited to
> 128 bytes payload and that it should work.
>
> BUT: Page 47 of the SiI-PDF says for 'Device Status and Control' the following:
> Bit [14:12]: Max Read Request Size (R/W) – Allowable values are 000B
> to 011B (128 to 1024 bytes).
> [...]

I don't think the MaxReadReq difference would be an issue - it's the max
request size that device is allowed to generate, not the max it can
accept. In any case, not sure how it would affect MSI since those
requests would be a write, not a read, and would be tiny. You could
always try changing it (I think setpci should be able to do it, though
you might need to dig through specs to find out which bits those are).

Unfortunately I don't have any great debug suggestions other than
those.. My first suspect would still be some kind of HT-MSI mapping
issue, but it's strange that only writes seem to be having problems..