    SubjectRe: x86: clean up rwsem type system
    On 01/12/2010 06:16 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > In case anybody wants to test, the final piece is appended.
    >
    > Again, note the 32767-thread limit here. So this really does need that
    > whole "make rwsem_count_t be 64-bit and fix the BIAS values to match"
    > extension on top of it, but that is conceptually a totally independent
    > issue.
    >
    > NOT TESTED! The original patch that this all was based on were tested by
    > KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki, but maybe I screwed up something when I created the
    > cleaned-up series, so caveat emptor..
    >
    > Also note that it _may_ be a good idea to mark some more registers
    > clobbered on x86-64 in the inline asms instead of saving/restoring them.
    > They are inline functions, but they are only used in places where there
    > are not a lot of live registers _anyway_, so doing for example the
    > clobbers of %r8-%r11 in the asm wouldn't make the fast-path code any
    > worse, and would make the slow-path code smaller.

    Hi Linus,

    I have put these into a separate topic branch in the tip tree, which
    should get them some test coverage. I will look at 64-bit counters to
    support 2^31 threads hopefully later this week, unless you prefer to do
    it yourself.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2010-01-14 08:05    [W:0.026 / U:0.672 seconds]