    SubjectRe: Changelog quality
    On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 01:04:52PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Greg KH wrote:
    > > > It would be nice if there was a way to link automatically a git commit
    > > > to an archived copy of the email message in which it was originally
    > > > submitted.
    > >
    > > Ingo has been doing this on some patches by putting a message-id field
    > > in the signed-off-by area showing what lkml message a patch came from.
    > >
    > > See git commit id 6432e734c99ed685e3cad72f7dcae4c65008fcab in Linus's
    > > tree as an example of this.
    > >
    > > I have no objection if people want to do this for any patches going
    > > through my tree as well.
    > If it has to be included manually by the patch submitter then it isn't
    > automatic. Not to mention that the submitter would need to know the
    > email's message-id before the email message was sent!
    > Something like this should belong in a maintainer's script.

    Yeah, that would get messy, as usually a patch happens in a different
    thread than the original problem occurs, so it would take a lot more
    work on my part to try to match things up. If I notice it, I will try
    to in the future.

    greg k-h

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-01-13 20:57    [W:0.042 / U:20.228 seconds]