    SubjectRe: Changelog quality
    From
    On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 18:44, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:29:07PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Stefan Richter wrote:
    >>
    >> > If it was by mistake, inclusion of the find-and-replace script into the
    >> > patch posting *after the --- delimiter* might have increased the chance
    >> > that a patch reviewer becomes aware of a possible error source
    >> > (inadequate match patterns...).  So that could be useful during review
    >> > before commit, but not so much if the change is revisited some time
    >> > after commit.
    >>
    >> Somewhat tangentially, it's worth mentioning that the comments
    >> appearing after the "---" delimiter exist only in the original patch
    >> submissions, not in the final commits.  Hence they are not available to
    >> anyone reviewing the changes after acceptance.
    >>
    >> It would be nice if there was a way to link automatically a git commit
    >> to an archived copy of the email message in which it was originally
    >> submitted.
    >
    > Ingo has been doing this on some patches by putting a message-id field
    > in the signed-off-by area showing what lkml message a patch came from.
    >
    > See git commit id 6432e734c99ed685e3cad72f7dcae4c65008fcab in Linus's
    > tree as an example of this.
    >
    > I have no objection if people want to do this for any patches going
    > through my tree as well.

    While the idea behind this is definitely nice, I don't like the
    current implementation: it's not really an `lkml reference', but just
    the message ID of the email that contained the patch.
    Which means it doesn't contain any reference to an lkml archive, but
    instead it casts into `git-stone' the host and domain names of my
    private machines at home ;-)

    Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

    Geert

    -- Linus Torvalds