SubjectRe: [patch] x86, apic: use 0x20 for the IRQ_MOVE_CLEANUP_VECTOR instead of 0x1f
On 01/11/2010 05:52 PM, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> After having the documentation quoted at me. I am having a distinct
> memory of one piece of documentation saying:
> "interrupts within a priority level can be delivered in any order"
>
> So I am guessing there is not any ordering of interrupts in the same
> priority level until they get to the local apic.

There is no ordering of interrupts before they hit the local APIC, since
the local APIC is what would serialize them...

> What guarantee we need is the interesting question.
>
> The cleanup ipi is sent when we have seen an interrupt arrive at it's
> newly configured location. It is possible that there is still an
> interrupt in flight to the old configured location (think NUMA where
> the interrupt has been migrated from off node to on node). We want
> the guarantee that the ipi arrives after the inflight irq. Which
> means on the wire ordering as well as in the local apic ordering is
> interesting.

I don't think there is any such guarantee possible, but that that has
nothing to do with the interrupt priority. Suresh tells me that that is
handled by detecting and re-posting the migration IRQ.

> I am slammed with other stuff right now so I don't think I will have
> time to find the old documentation I was looking at for a couple of
> more days.

I'm wondering if what you're thinking of are the really old LAPICs which
could only remember two pending interrupts per priority level?

-hpa

  Last update: 2010-01-12 03:21    [W:0.070 / U:0.328 seconds]