Subjectdmaengine: query current transfer status
Hi

I'm using the dmaengine API with an ASoC driver (soon to be submitted),
and I have to provide a callback to ALSA to query the progress of the
current transfer (the .pointer() method from struct snd_pcm_ops).
Currently I only can provide this information with a period size
precision. Wouldn't it make sense to add an optional hook to dmaengine for
that? I certainly could add this as a platform-specific extension to the
specific dmaengine driver, I'm using (shdma), but that'd be ugly. Ideas?
Specific proposals for the prototype? I could cook up a patch if there are
no principal objections against this.

Thanks
Guennadi
---