SubjectRe: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements
On Wed, Sep 09 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > > He would also need to lower min_granularity, otherwise, it'd be larger
> > > than the whole latency target.
> > >
> > > I'm testing right now, and one thing that is definitely a problem is the
> > > amount of sleeper fairness we're giving. A full latency is just too
> > > much short term fairness in my testing. While sleepers are catching up,
> > > hogs languish. That's the biggest issue going on.
> > >
> > > I've also been doing some timings of make -j4 (looking at idle time),
> > > and find that child_runs_first is mildly detrimental to fork/exec load,
> > > as are buddies.
> > >
> > > I'm running with the below at the moment. (the kthread/workqueue thing
> > > is just because I don't see any reason for it to exist, so consider it
> > > to be a waste of perfectly good math;)
> >
> > Using latt, it seems better than -rc9. The below are entries logged
> > while running make -j128 on a 64 thread box. I did two runs on each, and
> > latt is using 8 clients.
> >
> > -rc9
> > Max 23772 usec
> > Avg 1129 usec
> > Stdev 4328 usec
> > Stdev mean 117 usec
> >
> > Max 32709 usec
> > Avg 1467 usec
> > Stdev 5095 usec
> > Stdev mean 136 usec
> >
> > -rc9 + patch
> >
> > Max 11561 usec
> > Avg 1532 usec
> > Stdev 1994 usec
> > Stdev mean 48 usec
> >
> > Max 9590 usec
> > Avg 1550 usec
> > Stdev 2051 usec
> > Stdev mean 50 usec
> >
> > max latency is way down, and much smaller variation as well.
>
> Things are much better with this patch on the notebook! I cannot compare
> with BFS as that still doesn't run anywhere I want it to run, but it's
> way better than -rc9-git stock. latt numbers on the notebook have 1/3
> the max latency, average is lower, and stddev is much smaller too.

BFS210 runs on the laptop (dual core intel core duo). With make -j4
running, I clock the following latt -c8 'sleep 10' latencies:

-rc9

Max 17895 usec
Avg 8028 usec
Stdev 5948 usec
Stdev mean 405 usec

Max 17896 usec
Avg 4951 usec
Stdev 6278 usec
Stdev mean 427 usec

Max 17885 usec
Avg 5526 usec
Stdev 6819 usec
Stdev mean 464 usec

-rc9 + mike

Max 6061 usec
Avg 3797 usec
Stdev 1726 usec
Stdev mean 117 usec

Max 5122 usec
Avg 3958 usec
Stdev 1697 usec
Stdev mean 115 usec

Max 6691 usec
Avg 2130 usec
Stdev 2165 usec
Stdev mean 147 usec

-rc9 + bfs210

Max 92 usec
Avg 27 usec
Stdev 19 usec
Stdev mean 1 usec

Max 80 usec
Avg 23 usec
Stdev 15 usec
Stdev mean 1 usec

Max 97 usec
Avg 27 usec
Stdev 21 usec
Stdev mean 1 usec

One thing I also noticed is that when I have logged in, I run xmodmap
manually to load some keymappings (I always tell myself to add this to
the log in scripts, but I suspend/resume this laptop for weeks at the
time and forget before the next boot). With the stock kernel, xmodmap
will halt X updates and take forever to run. With BFS, it returned
instantly. As I would expect.

So the BFS design may be lacking in the scalability end (which is
obviously true, if you look at the code), but I can understand the
appeal of the scheduler for "normal" desktop people.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2009-09-09 14:23    [W:0.629 / U:0.072 seconds]