    > > From: Rik van Riel <>
    > > Date: Tue, Sep 08, 2009 03:24:08PM -0400
    > >
    > > Ryo Tsuruta wrote:

    > > >Not unfair, dm-ioband(weight policy) is intentionally designed to
    > > >use bandwidth efficiently, weight policy tries to give spare bandwidth
    > > >of inactive groups to active groups.
    > >
    > > This sounds good, except that the lack of anticipation
    > > means that a group with just one task doing reads will
    > > be considered "inactive" in-between reads.
    > >
    > anticipation helps in achieving fairness, but CFQ currently disables
    > idling for nonrot+NCQ media, to avoid the resulting throughput loss on
    > some SSDs. Are we really sure that we want to introduce anticipation
    > everywhere, not only to improve throughput on rotational media, but to
    > achieve fairness too?

    That's a good point. Personally I think that fairness requirements for
    individual queues and groups are little different. CFQ in general seems
    to be focussing more on latency and throughput at the cost of fairness.

    With groups, we probably need to put a greater amount of emphasis on group
    fairness. So group will be a relatively a slower entity (with anticiaption
    on and more idling), but it will also give you a greater amount of
    isolation. So in practice, one will create groups carefully and they will
    not proliferate like queues. This can mean overall reduced throughput on

    Having said that, group idling is tunable and one can always reduce it to
    achieve a balance between fairness vs throughput depending on his need.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-09-09 04:09    [W:0.021 / U:37.776 seconds]