SubjectRe: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements
On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 07:50:00PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 09:48 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > So either your MIPS system has some unexpected dependency on the
> > scheduler, or there's something weird going on.
> >
> > Mind poking on this one to figure out whether it's all repeatable
> > and why that slowdown happens? Multiple attempts to reproduce it
> > failed here for me.
>
> Could it be the scheduler using constructs that don't do well on MIPS ?

It would surprise me.

I'm wondering if BFS has properties that make it perform better on a very
low memory system; I guess the BCM74xx system will have like 32MB or 64MB
only.

> I remember at some stage we spotted an expensive multiply in there,
> maybe there's something similar, or some unaligned or non-cache friendly
> vs. the MIPS cache line size data structure, that sort of thing ...
>
> Is this a SW loaded TLB ? Does it misses on kernel space ? That could
> also be some differences in how many pages are touched by each scheduler
> causing more TLB pressure. This will be mostly invisible on x86.

Software refilled. No misses ever for kernel space or low-mem; think of
it as low-mem and kernel executable living in a 512MB page that is mapped
by a mechanism outside the TLB. Vmalloc ranges are TLB mapped. Ioremap
address ranges only if above physical address 512MB.

An emulated unaligned load/store is very expensive; one that is encoded
properly by GCC for __attribute__((packed)) is only 1 cycle and 1
instruction ( = 4 bytes) extra.

> At this stage, it will be hard to tell without some profile data I
> suppose. Maybe next week I can try on a small SW loaded TLB embedded PPC
> see if I can reproduce some of that, but no promises here.

Ralf

  Last update: 2009-09-09 02:49    [W:0.288 / U:0.168 seconds]