SubjectRe: Zaurus suspend saga
Hi!

> > > c) We rip the whole thing out and stop supporting "offline" charging.
> >
> > How much faster is offline charge, compared to online charging? I have
> > impression that online charging basically does not charge anything...
>
> I think that online charging works, but it seems to be slower. I am not
> sure, whether it is a hardware or software issue. You can control
> charging speed by software, but the final word has the charging
> chip.

Well, overnight charge (online) seems to result in pretty much empty
battery...

> Here are control wires:
> SPITZ_SCP_JK_A: output = turns dummy load to 1 kOhm resistor
> SPITZ_SCP_JK_B: output = high charging current
> SPITZ_SCP_CHRG_ON: output = charging on
> SPITZ_SCP_ADC_TEMP_ON: output = turns battery sensor on/off
> SPITZ_GPIO_CHRG_FULL input = charging complete
> SPITZ_GPIO_AC_IN input = AC adapter is present

Is CHRG_ON pin reversed?

static void spitz_charge(int on)
{
if (on) {
if (sharpsl_pm.flags & SHARPSL_SUSPENDED) {
gpio_set_value(SPITZ_GPIO_JK_B, 1);
gpio_set_value(SPITZ_GPIO_CHRG_ON, 0);
} else {
gpio_set_value(SPITZ_GPIO_JK_B, 0);
gpio_set_value(SPITZ_GPIO_CHRG_ON, 0);
}
} else {
gpio_set_value(SPITZ_GPIO_JK_B, 0);
gpio_set_value(SPITZ_GPIO_CHRG_ON, 1);
}
}

> MAX1111 inputs:
> MAX1111_ACIN_VOLT: Voltage in AC input (after pass of input circuit,
> before tha final diode)
> MAX1111_BATT_TEMP: Battery temperature sensor
> MAX1111_BATT_VOLT: Battery voltage
>
> Here are notes from the design:
> Pre-charge = 102mA

> Fast charge = 680mA
> Fast charge set ON = 105mA

I'm quite confused:

> SPITZ_SCP_JK_B: output = high charging current

Is JK_B active low?

> Iterm = 55mA
>
> Thresholds:
> SPITZ_GPIO_AC_IN: 4.2V (IC charging circuit)
> SPITZ_GPIO_FATAL_BAT: 3.0V (voltage detector IC on battery)
> PXA270 batt fault: 2.8V (voltage on the main non-regulated power)
> CF/SD: 2.8V (voltage required for CF/SD activation, I am
> not sure, why it is done, because 2.8V is
> outside of spec anyway)

> - It would be nice to have "small travel charger heuristic": Turn fast
> charging on, charger "disappears", switch to slow charging, charger
> "appears" => stay in slow charging mode, and retry after some time, or
> after going to suspend, reset the flag when charger is removed.

Yes, I have similar "travel charger" (from single AA in fact), too,
and yes getting that heuristic would be cool. But for now, I'd settle
with /sys control enabling that.

> - sysfs interface for charging would be nice. For example: Cyril has an
> external battery pack and he wants to disable charging of internal
> battery from the external battery.

Yes, more debug info in sysfs and some controls would be nice.

BTW... /sys/class/leds/spitz:amber:charge seems to have life of its
own. I can't manually change the brightness; also changing trigger
does not work -- it still displays charging status. What is going on?

Pavel

  Last update: 2009-09-08 23:23    [W:0.496 / U:0.008 seconds]