SubjectRe: wishful thinking about atomic, multi-sector or full MD stripe width, writes in storage
On 09/05/2009 08:57 AM, Mark Lord wrote:
> Ric Wheeler wrote:
>> On 09/04/2009 05:21 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
> ..
>>> How about instead, *fixing* the MD layer to properly support barriers?
>>> That would be far more useful, productive, and better for end-users.
> ..
>> Fixing MD would be great - not sure that it would end up still faster
>> (look at md1 devices with working barriers with compared to md1 with
>> write cache disabled).
> ..
>
> There's no inherent reason for it to be slower, except possibly
> drives with b0rked FUA support.
>
> So the first step is to fix MD to pass barriers to the LLDs
> for most/all RAID types.
> Then, if it has performance issues, those can be addressed
> by more application of little grey cells. :)
>
> Cheers

The performance issue with MD is that the "simple" answer is to not only
pass on those downstream barrier ops, but also to block and wait until
all of those dependent barrier ops complete before ack'ing the IO.

When you do that implementation at least, you will see a very large
performance impact and I am not sure that you would see any degradation
vs just turning off the write caches.

Sounds like we should actually do some testing and actually measure, I
do think that it will vary with the class of device quite a lot just
like we see with single disk barriers vs write cache disabled on SAS vs
S-ATA, etc...

ric

  Last update: 2009-09-05 15:45    [W:0.657 / U:0.116 seconds]