    SubjectRe: 2.6.29 regression: ATA bus errors on resume
    Hi Tejun,

    thanks a lot for your reply.

    Am Freitag 25 September 2009 schrieb Tejun Heo:
    > Hello, Berthold.
    > The disk is most likely losing power briefly. After boot, run
    > "smartctl -a" on the device and record the output. After triggering
    > the problem, do it again. See if Start_Stop_Count, Power_Cycle_Count
    > or Power-Off_Retract_Count has increased. If so, take out your PSU,
    > bury it half-deep in your backyard, apply some gasoline, light it up
    > and enjoy the sight of perishing evil with a can of beer.

    You might be right. However, I cannot reproduce the problem anymore, since I
    switched to the totally unsupported JFS as filesystem.

    In the meantime, I was able to copy 1.5TB of data back to the array, and the
    system also survived artificially generated high load. If the problem is a
    race (which I do not know), it might still be there. Obviously, it does not
    show up as often again.

    It could still be the power supply of course, but I don't understand why a new
    kernel would trigger power outages so often (current kernels triggered the
    problem latest after 5 minutes). Maybe it has something to do with the
    chipset (ICH7R) which is capable of hot remove/add disks. Or it is related to
    the hotswap harddisk slots in the case
    ( ). I have no

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-09-30 12:01    [W:0.026 / U:123.788 seconds]