SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.32-rc1

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> +ENTRY(cmpxchg8b_emu)
> + CFI_STARTPROC
> +
> + push %edi
> + push %ebx
> + push %ecx
> + /* disable interrupts */
> + pushf
> + pop %edi
> + cli
> +
> + cmpl %edx, 4(%esi)
> + jne 1f
> + cmpl %eax, (%esi)
> + jne 1f
> +
> + xchg (%esi), %ebx
> + xchg 4(%esi), %ecx
> + mov %ebx, %eax
> + mov %ecx, %edx

Ok, so why do you do this? You've just checked that the 8 bytes at esi are
the same as edx:eax, why do you do that odd xchg?

Why isn't this part just

mov %ebx,(%esi)
mov %ecx,4(%esi)

and leave ebx/ecx alone?

I also don't see why you play games with eflags and %edi. Just leave the
flags on the stack. So it all would look like

#
# Emulate 'cmpxchg8b (%esi)' except we don't
# set the whole ZF thing (caller will just
# compare eax:edx with the expected value)
#
cmpxchg8b_emu:
pushfl
cli
cmpl (%esi),%eax
jne not_same
cmpl 4(%esi),%edx
jne not_same
movl %ebx,(%esi)
movl %ecx,4(%esi)
popfl
ret
not_same:
movl (%esi),%eax
movl 4(%esi),%edx
popfl
ret

I dunno. You _could_ use edi/ebp as a temporary for 'dest' to only do the
load once (and add push/pop to save the registers), but it's not like the
above is really atomic anyway, and it very much depends on 'cli' just
making sure that nothing else happens. So the above seems to be the
simplest emulation, considering the interfaces..

UNTESTED! I wrote this in an email editor. I haven't assembled it or
verified the semantics or workingness in any way, shape or form.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-10-18 23:28    [W:0.112 / U:0.748 seconds]