SubjectRe: [RFC patch] Immediate Values - x86 Optimization NMI and MCE support
Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> [Ingo: this patch is for RFC only. Do not merge.]
>
> * Peter Zijlstra (peterz@infradead.org) wrote:

>>> SMP handling is performed with stop_machine() in this patchset. Nothing
>>> fancy here.
>>>
>>> I've got other patches, not included in this patchset, which implements
>>> nmi-safe code modification, based on a scheme using breakpoints and
>>> IPIs, inspired from djprobes. That one might be worth clearing with
>>> intel/amd devs before merging.
>>>
>>> However, doing code patching within stop_machine() is pretty safe, given
>>> all other CPUs are busy-looping with interrupts off while this happens.
>>> Ftrace already does this.
>>
>> Agreed, I missed this relied on stopmachine. No problem then.
>>
>> It would be good to reduce reliance on stopmachine, so it would be good
>> to get some CPU folks looking at your alternative implementation.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Sure, here is the patch applying on top of the immediate values
> patchset. It implements the breakpoint-based instruction patching
> scheme. I just provide this one for review. There is a following patch
> which makes the immediate values infrastructure use this arch-specific
> file, which I'll leave out for now.

Mathieu, could you check my previous patch?
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/9/14/551

I think we can share some code and ideas about generic XMC:-).
But since it seems that the imv requires a dedicated method,
I don't think we can share the code entirely. :-)

> +#include <asm/cacheflush.h>
> +
> +#define BREAKPOINT_INSTRUCTION 0xcc
> +#define BREAKPOINT_INS_LEN 1
> +#define NR_NOPS 10

Why don't you reuse macros in asm/include/kprobes.h? :)

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@redhat.com

  Last update: 2009-09-25 00:01    [W:0.139 / U:0.096 seconds]