SubjectRe: [RFC] Privilege dropping security module
> Hi Andy. Git is a wonderful tool, but if you want people to review
> your work you need to post patches.

Thanks for letting me know, I've posted a separate message with patch.

> And what do you propose as an interesting use case for dpriv?

I think the two most important things about dpriv is that it can be used
by ordinary users and that is can create policies programmatically.

Being able to use dpriv as a non root user is pretty strait forward. For
example, a user of a multi-user system may want to try some untrusted
code without risking access to the rest of the system:

$ cd ~/my_project
$ echo rxRX / > /sys/kernel/security/dpriv/stage
$ echo X $HOME > /sys/kernel/security/dpriv/stage
$ echo rwxRWX $HOME/my_project > /sys/kernel/security/dpriv/stage
$ echo commit > /sys/kernel/security/dpriv/control
$ patch < untrusted.patch
$ make && ./src/some_exe

The above example also demonstrates how dpriv can be used
programmatically. That is, a policy for allowing read-write-exec access
to build and test tools in ~/my_project didn't have to exist ahead of
time.

A more realistic example might be for a virtual hosting web server where
you want apache to only have access to the files for the current virtual
host.

  Last update: 2009-09-24 00:33    [W:0.535 / U:0.088 seconds]