SubjectRe: mailing list for trace users

* David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:

> From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:48:23 +0200
>

> > * David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
> >> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:16:22 -0400

> >> I've created this list.
> >
> > btw., could you please change the name to linux-tracing-users?
> > That's the name of the subsystem and the name of the activity as
> > well. A 'trace' is just (one) end result of that activity.
>
> No, the name is arbitrary and people are already propagating the
> existience of the name that has been chosen already.
>
> SOrry.

David, i have asked for the proper name _BEFORE_ you have created it,
yesterday. I also asked you again today to change the name _minutes_
after you mailed about the sucky 'linux-trace-users@vger.kernel.org'
name. You ignored all that.

I dont know about you, but the activity is 'tracing' not 'trace'. People
mailing to that list want to talk about 'tracing' - not about a 'trace'.
What is a 'trace user'? It makes no sense and is a misnomer.

The subsystem entry in MAINTAINERS clearly says:

TRACING
M: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
M: Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@gmail.com>
M: Ingo Molnar <mingo@redhat.com>
T: git git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/linux-2.6-tip.git tracing/core
S: Maintained

It's no secret that you and me dont get along too well and have been
involved in a number of very public spats in the past year or so.

I do think your actions here are designed to hurt the tracing (and also
the perf events) subsystems just because i'm co-maintaining them, and i
think that you are in a heavy conflict of interest over it.

You should have recused yourself from this decision - i suspect there's
other, less biased people outside of you who can create new mailing
lists on vger.kernel.org. They might refuse my request with some real
reason.

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-09-23 21:43    [W:0.897 / U:0.072 seconds]