SubjectRe: regression in page writeback
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 05:05:01PM +0800, Wu, Fengguang wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 04:52:48PM +0800, Richard Kennedy wrote:

> > > Not so, pdflush (or now the bdi writer thread thingies) should not
> > > deplete all dirty pages but should stop writing once they are below the
> > > background limit.

> > > Well, that's all because this congestion_wait stuff is borken..
> > >

> > The problem occurred as pdflush stopped when the number of dirty pages
> > reached the background threshold but balance_dirty_pages kept moving
> > pages to writeback because the total of dirty + writeback was over the
> > limit.
>
> Ah yes it is possible. The pdflush started by balance_dirty_pages()
> does stop at the background threshold (sorry for the confusion!),
> and then balance_dirty_pages() continue to sync pages in _smaller_
> chunk sizes, which should be suboptimal..
This is possible. Without the patch, balance_dirty_pages() can move some pages
to writeback and don't need do congestion_wait(), so the task can continue doing
write. The patch seems to break this.
I tried to set dirty_exceeded only when bdi_nr_reclaimable > bdi_thresh, this helps
a little in my test, but still not reach the best.

  Last update: 2009-09-22 13:45    [W:0.094 / U:0.316 seconds]