SubjectRe: Linux not shutting down all devices? Battery drain in after shutdown
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Thu 2009-09-17 14:24:51, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > I have a very strange problem with my Sony VAIO Z11 laptop. When I turn
> > it off in Linux it still drains battery, and quite a lot indeed, several
> > percent per hour.
> >
> > Interestingly, when shutting down from Windows XP the same doesn't happen,
> > after 10 hours of off time starting from 100% charge after rebooting I have
> > still 98.8%, so that is fine (counting that booting costs some energy).
> >
> > This is in fact also a problem for many other users using Windows, too,
> > see [1]. I have checked that on Windows all devices are set up so that
> > at shutdown and hibernation (S4 and S5) they are going to off state (D3).
> >
> > The only thing I can imagine is that one of the devices not completely
> > of not at all supported by the kernel is not properly shut down.
> > AFAIS the only device which I have not running here is the fingerprint
> > scanner.
> >
> > My questions are:
> > - is there a way and if how to check that all devices will get properly
> > shut down on halt?
> > - is there any other reason the battery drain might happen?
> >
> > Some details about the laptop:
> > - it has a dual graphic card (Intel and nVidia), the sony-laptop module
> > (extended for the zseries, see [2], with adaption to 2.6.31 by me [3]),
> > or the stock kernel sony-laptop plus the nvidia-control module
> > (by Matthew Garret [4]) can be used to turn the nvidia card of on a
> > running system so that it does not draw any energy
> > - lspci -vvv output is attached as lspci.txt
> > - software running is Debian/sid with kernel 2.6.31
>
> On PC, keyboard driver is expected to shut down the machine; I'd try
> complaining to Sony, perhaps they have newer bios.

I have seen this sort of problem on ThinkPads as well. Lenovo decided to
fix it in firmware and shut down the stuff entirely in firmware.
Interestingly enough, in the ThinkPad case, Windows was not affected.

Henrique Holschuh

  Last update: 2009-09-19 16:51    [W:0.066 / U:0.024 seconds]