SubjectRe: fanotify as syscalls
Date
On Friday, 18 September 2009 22:52:08 Eric Paris wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 22:07 +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > From my point of view, "global" events make no sense, and fanotify
> > listeners should register which directories they are interested in (e.g.,
> > include "/", exclude "/proc"). This takes care of chroots and namespaces
> > as well.
>
> While I completely agree that most users don't want global events, the
> antimalware vendors who today, unprotect and hack the syscall table on
> their unsuspecting customer's machines to intercept every read, write,
> open, close, mmap, etc syscall want EXACTLY that.

I understand that "global" is what those guys get today for lack of a
reasonable mechanism, but it's not what anybody can ge given by fanotify: it
conflicts with filesystem namespaces.

Consider running several "virtual machines" in separate namespaces on the same
kernel. With "global" you are forced to run the same global fanotify
listeners everywhere; with per-mount-point listeners, you can choose
between "global" and something more fine-grained by identifying which
vfsmounts you are interested in. (Filesystem namespaces correspond to
vfsmount hierarchies.)

> [...] You still have to exclude /proc and /sys and everything else.

Those are mount points, and so convenient to handle with a per-mount-point
mechanism. No additional kernel code needed.

> [...] Still though, this sounds like an issue for the f_type and f_fsid
> exclusion syscall I say I'm still not settled on.

Those are also obsolete with a per-mount-point mechanism.

Thanks,
Andreas

  Last update: 2009-09-19 00:03    [W:0.202 / U:0.124 seconds]