SubjectRe: Paravirtualization on VMware's Platform [VMI].
* Alok Kataria (akataria@vmware.com) wrote:
> We ran a few experiments to compare performance of VMware's
> paravirtualization technique (VMI) and hardware MMU technologies (HWMMU)
> on VMware's hypervisor.
>
> To give some background, VMI is VMware's paravirtualization
> specification which tries to optimize CPU and MMU operations of the
> guest operating system. For more information take a look at this
> http://www.vmware.com/interfaces/paravirtualization.html
>
> In most of the benchmarks, EPT/NPT (hwmmu) technologies are at par or
> provide better performance compared to VMI.
> The experiments included comparing performance across various micro and
> real world like benchmarks.
>
> Host configuration used for testing.
> * Dell PowerEdge 2970
> * 2 x quad-core AMD Opteron 2384 2.7GHz (Shanghai C2), RVI capable.
> * 8 GB (4 x 2GB) memory, NUMA enabled
> * 2 x 300GB RAID 0 storage
> * 2 x embedded 1Gb NICs (Braodcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T)
> * Running developement build of ESX.
>
> The guest VM was a SLES 10 SP2 based VM for both the VMI and non-VMI
> case. kernel version: 2.6.16.60-0.37_f594963d-vmipae.
>
> Below is a short summary of performance results between HWMMU and VMI.
> These results are averaged over 9 runs. The memory was sized at 512MB
> per VCPU in all experiments.
> For the ratio results comparing hwmmu technologies to vmi, higher than 1
> means hwmmu is better than vmi.
>
> compile workloads - 4-way : 1.02, i.e. about 2% better.
> compile workloads - 8-way : 1.14, i,e. 14% better.
> oracle swingbench - 4-way (small pages) : 1.34, i.e. 34% better.
> oracle swingbench - 4-way (large pages) : 1.03, i.e. 3% better.
> specjbb (large pages) : 0.99, i.e. 1% degradation.

Not entirely surprising. Curious if you ran specjbb w/ small pages too?

> Please note that specjbb is the worst case benchmark for hwmmu, due to
> the higher TLB miss latency, so it's a good result that the worst case
> benchmark has a degradation of only 1%.
>
> VMware expects that these hardware virtualization features will be
> ubiquitous by 2011.
>
> Apart from the performance benefit, VMI was important for Linux on
> VMware's platform, from timekeeping point of view, but with the tickless
> kernels and TSC improvements that were done for the mainline tree, we
> think VMI has outlived those requirements too.
>
> In light of these results and availability of such hardware, we have
> decided to stop supporting VMI in our future products.
>
> Given this new development, I wanted to discuss how should we go about
> retiring the VMI code from mainline Linux, i.e. the vmi_32.c and
> vmiclock_32.c bits.
>
> One of the options that I am contemplating is to drop the code from the
> tip tree in this release cycle, and given that this should be a low risk
> change we can remove it from Linus's tree later in the merge cycle.
>
> Let me know your views on this or if you think we should do this some
> other way.

Typically we give time measured in multiple release cycles
before deprecating a feature. This means placing an entry in
Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt, and potentially
adding some noise to warn users they are using a deprecated
feature.

thanks,
-chris

  Last update: 2009-09-18 02:43    [W:0.709 / U:0.168 seconds]