    SubjectRe: fixing "pci=use_crs"
    On Thursday 17 September 2009 10:45:27 am Jesse Barnes wrote:
    > > The extra resources in the old dmesg could be from "pci=use_crs"
    > > being the default, but if that were the case, they should be in
    > > the PNP resource dump.  Did you update the BIOS between those
    > > boots?
    > FWIW in the CRS problem thread there were other reports of large
    > numbers of PNP resources causing problems.  One solution I considered
    > before we ended up reverting the patch was to increase the number of
    > bus resources we track.  Rather than a small array of resources per
    > bus, we could have a linked list, which would allow us to track an
    > arbitrary number.

    I think that might be a good starting point anyway, since I'm not
    aware of any spec that limits the number of apertures a host bridge
    can have.

    > We probably want to distinguish between what we read from the hw regs
    > and what's reported in PNP though, so maybe a new list in addition to
    > the existing resource set would be the way to go.  That would allow us
    > to selectively ignore PNP resources on machines where they report bogus
    > ranges (or selectively look at them, either way).

    When we can read things from hardware registers, I think we have to
    trust that more than anything from other sources. But I'm not proposing
    any particular solution yet; I just want to get a better understanding
    of what we're seeing.

      Last update: 2009-09-17 21:01    [W:0.023 / U:9.960 seconds]