Subjectio-controller: file system meta data operations
Hi Vivek,

I am trying to optimize user-experience on a busy NFS server.

I think much could be achieved if the following was true.

get a response to file system meta data operations (opendir,
readdir, stat, mkdir, unlink) within 200 ms even under heavy
read/write strain ...

In the course of my research I also tried the io-controller patches.

My test setup consists of several tar processes keeping a disk busy
by packing and unpacking Linux kernels.

I was able to bring read and write bandwidth into balance by
putting the reading and writing tars in to different cgroups.

Unfortunately this did not seem to help my goal since meta data
operations do not seem to get treated differently from normal
operations (or maybe even worse?)

Is there a way to get io-controller to help me with this?

cheers
tobi
http://it.oetiker.ch tobi@oetiker.ch ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

  Last update: 2009-09-16 15:01    [W:1.562 / U:0.004 seconds]