SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] please pull ummunotify
Hi!

> Linus, please consider pulling from
>
> master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/roland/infiniband.git ummunotify
>
> This tree is also available from kernel.org mirrors at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/roland/infiniband.git ummunotify
>
> This will get "ummunotify," a new character device that allows a
> userspace library to register for MMU notifications; this is
> particularly useful for MPI implementions (message passing libraries
> used in HPC) to be able to keep track of what wacky things consumers
> do to their memory mappings. My colleague Jeff Squyres from the Open
> MPI project posted a blog entry about why MPI wants this:
>
> http://blogs.cisco.com/ciscotalk/performance/comments/better_linux_memory_tracking/
>
> His summary of ummunotify:
>
> "It???s elegant, doesn???t require strange linker tricks, and seems to
> work in all cases. Yay!"
>
> This code went through several review iterations on lkml and was in
> -mm and -next for quite a few weeks. Andrew is OK with merging it (I
> think -- Andrew please correct me if I misunderstood you).

I don't remember seeing discussion of this on lkml. Yes it is in
-next...

Basically it allows app to 'trace itself'? ...with interesting mmap()
interface, exporting int to userspace, hoping it behaves atomically...?

Pavel

  Last update: 2009-09-15 13:37    [W:0.330 / U:0.184 seconds]