SubjectRe: unfair io behaviour for high load interactive use still present in 2.6.31
From
On Sep 15, 8:50 am, Tobias Oetiker <t...@oetiker.ch> wrote:
> Experts,
>
> We run several busy NFS file servers with Areca HW Raid + LVM2 + ext3
>
> We find that the read bandwidth falls dramatically as well as the
> response times going up to several seconds as soon as the system
> comes under heavy write strain.

It's worthwhile checking:
- that the ext3 filesystem starts at a stripe-aligned offset
- that the ext3 filesystem was created with the correct stripe-width
and stride (chunk) size
- due to the larger amount of memory, ext4 may be a big win (due to
delayed allocate), if you'll stay with a newer kernel
- if you have battery backup at the right levels:
- performance may be better mounting the ext3 filesystem with
'barrier=0'
- performance may improve mounting 'data=writeback'

Thanks,
Daniel
--
Daniel J Blueman