SubjectRe: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

* Bret Towe <magnade@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 09:02 -0700, Bret Towe wrote:
> >>
> >> thanks to this thread and others I've seen several kernel tunables
> >> that can effect how the scheduler performs/acts
> >> but what I don't see after a bit of looking is where all these are
> >> documented
> >> perhaps thats also part of the reason there are unhappy people with
> >> the current code in the kernel just because they don't know how
> >> to tune it for their workload
> >
> > The thing is, ideally they should not need to poke at these.
> > These knobs are under CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG, and that is exactly
> > what they are for.
>
> even then I would think they should be documented so people can
> find out what item is hurting their workload so they can better
> report the bug no?

Would be happy to apply such documentation patches. You could also
help start adding a 'scheduler performance' wiki portion to
perf.wiki.kernel.org, if you have time for that.

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-09-10 18:29    [W:0.181 / U:1.968 seconds]