SubjectRe: raid is dangerous but that's secret (was Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible)
also sprach Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@gmail.com> [2009.09.01.0026 +0200]:
> I misspoke w.r.t journalling, the idea I was trying to get across
> was to remount with -o sync while running on a degraded array, but
> given some of the other comments in this thread I'm not even sure
> that would help. the idea was to make writes as safe as possible
> (at the cost of speed) when running on a degraded array, and to
> have the transition be as hands-free as possible, just have the
> kernel (or mdadm) by default remount.

I don't see how that is any more necessary with a degraded array
than it is when you have a fully working array. Sync just ensures
that the data are written and not cached, but that has absolutely
nothing to do with the underlying storage. Or am I failing to see
the link?

--
.''`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info