    SubjectRe: iwlwifi (4965) regression since 2.6.30
    On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 08:07:04PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Aug 2009, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
    > > 0x0004 = 238 # KEY_WLAN
    > This means any rfkill input handler (be it in kernel or userspace) will
    > toggle your WLAN cards when fn+f5 is pressed. You can just assign a
    > different keycode to it (use KEY_RESERVED or KEY_UNKNOWN if you don't want
    > the key to do anything).
    > If you unmask the key on hotkey_mask, it will revert to BIOS actions, which
    > depending on the thinkpad, might cause it to operate on bluetooth, wwan,
    > etc...

    I have a related question, sorry if I hijack the thread...

    When thinkpad-acpi grew rfkill support a few kernel versions back
    it forced Bluetooth on at boot time. Since I almost never use
    Bluetooth I want it off to save power. The workaround I came up
    with was to enable CONFIG_RFKILL and add rfkill.default_state=0
    to the kernel cmdline. Now this workaround also disables WLAN :-(
    My workaround for my workaround (heh!) was to add
    pre-up echo 1 > `ls /sys/class/ieee80211/phy0/rfkill*/state`
    in /etc/network/interfaces. It would be nice to have a better
    way to select boot-up defaults.

    In Documentation/laptops/thinkpad-acpi.txt there is this comment
    for FN+F5:

    Should be used to turn on/off all radios (Bluetooth+W-WAN+WLAN), really.

    I disagree. Why would anyone turn off all radios at once?
    What I want is to disable the radios I don't need to save power,
    so IMHO there should be different keys for Bluetooth and WLAN
    (and W-WAN where present).

    The BIOS does the right thing for me, it disables Bluetoth by default
    until enabled with Fn-F5, and WLAN is always enabled. For me
    the rfkill support is a regression, not progress.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-08-07 22:35    [W:0.023 / U:12.264 seconds]