SubjectRe: [Patch 0/7] Implement crashkernel=auto
Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Neil Horman <nhorman@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> You could of
>> course boot the installer kernel with a crashkernel line pre-selected suppose,
>> but then you have to go to the trouble of figuring that allocation size out each
>> time. This gives you a nice convienent way to get a reasonable block of memory
>> without the need to do all that extra work.
>>

> My big concern is that you are moving policy into the kernel, when it isn't at
> all clear that policy is the right thing to do, and the existing mechanisms give
> you enough rope to do this all in userspace.

How? This doesn't remove the existing mechanism, just provides a new
choice for user like me who doesn't know how much memory should be
reserved, or who simply doesn't want to concern this since he/she has
very enough memory.

> You also have to build (or at least load) the whole kdump image after
> the system boots, and configure someplace for this to be saved.
>
> What class of problems do you expect to catch with this?

Again, try to save the user from choosing numbers for "crashkernel=".
> What has me puzzled is that the mkdumprd that ships with fedora isn't
> usable without patching, and it seems to be steadily getting worse.

Please explain why it is not usable? The patch won't break the
userspace, since it modifies the "crashkernel=" command line dynamically.

Thanks.

  Last update: 2009-08-06 04:07    [W:0.073 / U:0.132 seconds]