    SubjectRe: MMC: Make the configuration memory resource optional
    On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Ian Molton wrote:

    > Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
    >
    > > How do we verify this? Do I need some "very fast" card, so that sd would try
    > > to drive the clock beyond pdata->hclk / 2, which should then fail?
    >
    > One way would be a 'scope on the card pins, but since you havent said I am
    > assuming you have not altered the clock-speed setting routine.
    >
    > Here you can see why I didnt like the silently-drop-conf-accesses version of
    > the patch. If you had not made conf area accesses silently succeed, you'd
    > have found one lurking in the set_clock function.
    >
    > Since your controller has no CNF area, it was discarding the write to the 1:1
    > clock bit (that isnt in its none-existant conf area) and thus you got the
    > next lowest clock as a result (/2)
    >
    > > Currently I'm using 24MHz (copied from the original driver), and the only
    > > thing I know about the controller is its "Maximum operating frequency: 25
    > > MHz."
    >
    > Thats the HCLK frequency, not the card clock.

    Sure, and the card clock is derived from the HCLK, as you describe below.

    > the TMIO MFD devices can divide this HCLK by anything from 512 to 2, and MFD
    > devices have a facility to disable the divider, yielding full HCLK speed as
    > the card clock.
    >
    > If you havent already found a 1:1 clock enable bit on your device, you might
    > try looking for it - it'd yield a near linear factor-of-two speed increase.

    I think, even getting the driver work with half the maximum speed (without
    the 1:1 speed) would be a good progress for SH. And I personally have no
    idea how I could "find" that divider-disable bit. Please notice, that I'm
    away for a week starting tomorrow, hopefully, Magnus will be able to
    further work with you on this during this time.

    Thanks
    Guennadi
    ---
    Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
    http://www.open-technology.de/

      Last update: 2009-08-06 00:55    [W:0.037 / U:119.840 seconds]