SubjectRe: [Patch 0/7] Implement crashkernel=auto
On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 06:33:57AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Amerigo Wang <amwang@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > This series of patch implements automatically reserved memory for crashkernel,
> > by introducing a new boot option "crashkernel=auto". This idea is from Neil.
> >
> > In case of breaking user-space applications, it modifies this boot option after
> > it decides how much memory should be reserved.
> >
> > On different arch, the threshold and reserved memory size is different. Please
> > refer patch 7/7 which contains an update for the documentation.
> >
> > Note: This patchset was only tested on x86_64 with differernt memory sizes.
>
> This seems like a silly hard code. Especially for a feature distros don't
> care enough about to implement a working initrd for.
>
> Has anyone bothered to justify those large amounts of memory?
> Where does the 128M go?
>
> Please pardon me for being a cynic but I don't see the command line option
> being the bottleneck for real users to make this work.
>
> Eric

Lots of the impetus behind this results from a desire to have kexec configured
and setup up during install. Having the kernel allocate a default size block of
RAM lets you do that without the need for an interim reboot. You could of
course boot the installer kernel with a crashkernel line pre-selected suppose,
but then you have to go to the trouble of figuring that allocation size out each
time. This gives you a nice convienent way to get a reasonable block of memory
without the need to do all that extra work.
Neil

  Last update: 2009-08-05 16:07    [W:0.208 / U:0.304 seconds]