SubjectRe: fanotify - overall design before I start sending patches
> On Friday 24 July 2009 21:13:49 Eric Paris wrote:
>> After the socket is bound events are attained using the read() syscall
>> (recv* probably also works haven't tested). This will result in the
>> buffer being filled with one or more events like this:
>>
>> struct fanotify_event_metadata {
>> __u32 event_len;
>> __s32 fd;
>> __u32 mask;
>> __u32 f_flags;
>> __s32 pid;
>> __s32 tgid;
>> __u64 cookie;
>> } __attribute__((packed));
>>
>> fd specifies the new file descriptor that was created in the context of
>> the listener. (readlink of /proc/self/fd will give you A pathname)
>> mask indicates the events type (bitwise OR of the event types listed
>> above). f_flags here is the f_flags the ORIGINAL process has the file
>> open with. pid and tgid are from the original process. cookie is used
>> when the listener needs to allow, deny, or delay the operation.

One thing that's come up recently that we can't detect with Talpa:

Can fanotify differentiate between an execute and a normal open for reading?

If it can differentiate, could it send that information in the
event_metadata?

--
Douglas Leeder

  Last update: 2009-08-05 12:37    [W:2.100 / U:0.016 seconds]