    SubjectRe: raid is dangerous but that's secret (was Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible)
    On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 at 09:51, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > give system administrators. It's better than the fear-mongering
    > > patches you had proposed earlier, but what would be better *still* is
    > > telling people why running with degraded RAID arrays is bad, and to
    > > give them further tips about how to use RAID arrays safely.
    >
    > Maybe this belongs to Doc*/filesystems, and more detailed RAID
    > description should go to md description?

    Why should this be placed in *kernel* documentation anyway? The "dangers
    of RAID", the hints that "backups are a good idea" - isn't that something
    for howtos for sysadmins? No end-user will ever look into Documentation/
    anyway. The sysadmins should know what they're doing and see the upsides
    and downsides of RAID and journalling filesystems. And they'll turn to
    howtos and tutorials to find out. And maybe seek *reference* documentation
    in Documentation/ - but I don't think Storage-101 should be covered in
    a mostly hidden place like Documentation/.

    Christian.
    --
    BOFH excuse #212:

      Last update: 2009-08-30 11:03    [W:0.019 / U:96.188 seconds]