    SubjectRe: [RFC][patch 02/12] remove clocksource inline functions
    On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:50:22 -0400
    Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:48:36 EDT, Christoph Hellwig said:
    > > > You know that a priori because you're familiar with that code. But there's
    > > > another use case: An idiot monkey like myself manages to break the kernel
    > > > *again* in some part of the kernel they're totally unfamiliar with, and
    > > > they need to discover for themselves that timekeeping.c is the only user.
    > > >
    > > > (Of course, in another 5-6 years I'll probably have broken something in
    > > > every part of the kernel and whinged at Andrew about it, and that argument
    > > > won't apply anymore.. ;)
    > >
    > > Andthe poor grepping monkey can be sure that everyone used the useless
    > > wrapper exactly how? If you want to help people with grepping rename
    > > the method from read to clocksource_read..
    >
    > Even better. ;)

    With the same reasoning you could argue that f_ops->read should be
    renamed to f_ops->file_read. And why is it so important to be able
    to grep for clocksource_read? Not that a patch to rename read to
    clocksource_read is hard but before I go ahead an do the rename for 60+
    clocksources in the kernel I would like to have a better reason than
    "I might want to grep it".

    --
    blue skies,
    Martin.

      Last update: 2009-08-03 10:13    [W:0.022 / U:0.312 seconds]